Furnaces

Comparing Furnace Upgrades? Consider The Lifeitme Costs

April 5, 2012   ·   By   ·   No Comments   ·   Posted in Furnaces

Comparing Furnace Upgrades? Consider The Lifeitme CostsIf you’re considering a furnace upgrade, you might look only for the lowest price tag. However, that could prove to be an impractical move in the long run.

Your choice of furnace impacts your pocketbook not only today, but for many years to come. Some furnaces are more fuel-efficient than others, requiring less gas to keep your home warm. Some also are more reliable than others, requiring fewer repairs and extending the number of years before you have to pay for a replacement.

The total amount of money spent on a furnace–including the purchase price, installation, maintenance, repairs, and fuel–is referred to as the lifetime cost of the furnace. The lifetime cost is what you should really consider when trying to save money on a furnace upgrade. And often, the furnace with the lowest price isn’t going to have the lowest lifetime costs, as the cheapest models are typically less fuel-efficient and less reliable.

To minimize lifetime costs, you need to compare your furnace upgrade options on a few different factors:

  • AFUE rating. The Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating indicates the fuel efficiency of a furnace. It is given as a percentage, and is the percentage of fuel a furnace consumes versus the amount of heat it produces. For example, an 85 percent AFUE is 85 percent efficient, but wastes the other 15 percent of the fuel energy it consumes. You can get an idea of how the AFUE rating translates into dollars and cents by using Energy Star’s free cost calculator.
  • Reputation. Maintenance and repair costs are a bit harder to predict, but your Mesa-area furnace repair experts can recommend which models have the best history of reliability.
  • Price. Yes, the purchase price does matter, but you need to look at it on a long-term basis. A furnace that costs 25 percent more but lasts twice as many years will be much cheaper on a per-year basis.

At Ocean Air, we would be happy to help you find the furnace upgrade that will produce the lowest lifetime costs for your Mesa-area home. Feel free to contact us with any questions.

Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).  For more information about furnaces and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.

Ocean Air, Air Conditioning & Heating services the East Valley of Phoenix. Visit our website to see our current promotions and get started today!     

Upgrade image via Shutterstock

Submit a Comment

What is 12 + 4 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Ocean Air Conditioning & Heating © 2012 - All rights reserved.